Introducing the world of clay!
- 6 weeks of pottery classes for teens from 13 to 19!
- Tuesdays: 4:30-6:30 pm at our studio in the Tett Centre
- No previous experience necessary
- Includes everything you need – clay, tools, glaze and firing
- No access to the studio outside of class time
- cost – $195.00 + HST
This introduction to pottery introduces teens from 13 to 19 to handbuilding techniques that are used by expert potters and are relatively easy to master. Handbuilding techniques enable you to have fun and make some good quality pots in a short time. Your projects will vary depending on who is teaching the class.
You also get a chance to throw and trim a pot on the wheel. Your first pot may be a bit “wonky” but you can just have fun with it: don’t set your expectations too high at first. Throwing well requires practice, whereas handbuilding can lead to success more quickly.
You can expect to:
- Learn about the process of going from wet clay to a fired and glazed pot.
- Learn handbuilding techniques such as pinching, coiling, soft or hard slab construction.
- Get an introduction to throwing on the potter’s wheel.
- Glaze your pots. Your teacher fires them and you will pick them up after the last class.
- Class cost includes clay, glaze, firing, and the use of KPG class tools.
As an introductory student, you don’t have access to the studio outside of class time. There are no make-up classes.
After the Introductory Class:
- you can take the class a second time.
- you can move on to the throwing class if you are 16 or older.